Monday, September 15, 2008

Roots

Our sermon yesterday was about the power of our root system. My bible study this week is also about the power of roots. God trying to tell me something? Yes, yes He is.

Over the last couple years, since the twins were born, I've slowly let life creep in. Little things. Silly things. I've sporadically studied my bible, but more out of obligation than a deep hunger. My roots need to be fed. I've forgotten that. I had allowed myself to get so distracted that I forgot what it was like to hunger for God's word, to thirst for that intimacy.

Yesterday's sermon also got me thinking about people that God can use. Psalms 1... spend some time reading it.

I spent a year of my life, while hubby was deployed, praying the "I can do all things through Christ" prayer. Everyday He carried me along, as I flailed about trying to keep my head above water. He brought friends to my side, friends that truly Love Him. Those friends pulled me up and dusted me off. They loved me unconditionally. He also brought people in my life that judged me. People that felt they had the right to knock me down because they profess to be believers of Christ. These people hurt me deeper than I can express with words. I was vulnerable and I was judged on my vulnerability. I have since become even more aware of the people around me.

I've learned who I can actually trust. The list is small. I won't go into who is actually on the list because some people would be hurt that they aren't there. And I don't want to hurt anyone the way I was hurt. Instead I'm trying to forgive those that hurt me, praying that God shows me how to love those people. I always hear quality over quantity. I never really understood though. It's better to have a few amazing people in your life, people you can count on any time of day or night, than lots of people that judge and condemn you.

This morning when I woke up all I could think about was my time with God, reestablishing my roots. Putting them deep in the fertile soil of God's Word. Today's study when I got there... hungering and thirsting for eternal things, rather than temporary. So that's what I'll work on. Focusing on Him, His Word and His Unfailing Love for me.

Lord, I thank you for the people in my life. I thank you for those that love me. I also thank you though for those that have judged, for they are being used by you to refine my heart. Thank you for what you are doing in my life and the lives of the people around me. Please continue to give me the strength I need to follow you. In your son's holy name- Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good post.